Daly Lake: Perfection in the Old Cascades



While planning a somewhat long hike ( 46 miles) along the Old Cascades Crest trail system I came across Daly Lake on my map. Having a good feeling about the place I jumped on the computer and checked the Forest Service's website, usage was listed as heavy, so not expecting anything good I set out on a scouting trip for my longer hike.

Campsite 1 at Daly Lake


While pulling up to the trailhead I was excited not to see any other vehicles. I set off on the short and wheelchair assessable trail to the lake. The sun was about to set so I got my little camp set up  before the sun was completely gone. Laying back near a fire with a beer in my hand watching the sun fade over Daly Lake reminded me why I love Cascadia so much. It was a perfect spot.

Daly Lake Trailhead

After another day at work I needed to get back into the woods. One of my good friends from my 2011 hike of the Pacific Crest Trail, Scarecrow was going to need a ride back to the trail and a few other friends wanted to spend the weekend camping; I knew the perfect spot. 


Campsite 2 at Daly Lake

 The water was fairly cool, but definitely swim-able. If you follow the trail left when you hit the first campsite there are a few logs you can walk out and jump off of. There was a short trail around the lake that is fairly well maintained until you hit the far south end, it's kind of marshy and somewhat overgrown.

Scarecrow collecting some Huckleberries

Huckleberries

Definitely be on the lookout for Strawberries, Huckleberries and Marionberries! In the next few weeks both the Huckleberries and Marionberries will be perfect. We had an awesome weekend. If you have just one night or a few this spot is amazing. If you're in the area be sure to hike the Crescent Mountain trail.

Directions from Sweet Home: Follow Highway 20 East(47.5 miles), turn left onto Highway 22(7.6 miles), turn left onto Parish Lake Road (FR 2266) ( 2.2 miles), make slight right still on FR 2266( 1.0), take first right to stay on FR 2266( 1.6), turn right onto FR 450( .3). The trailhead will be on the right.

Elevation: 3,690 feet

Fees: 5 dollars per day

Water: None ( other than the lake inlet)

Bathroom: One pit toilet

Trash: Pack it out

Usage: Light

If you haven't had grilled pizza, you're missing out.


 

Comments

  1. Gambling problem gambling tips & tricks - KT Hub
    Gambling 제주 출장안마 problem gambling tips & tricks: gambling problems and strategies 용인 출장마사지 to help people stop it. Don't forget to contact our dedicated 문경 출장샵 team of 안산 출장샵 professional 여수 출장마사지 tipsters to help you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santiam Wagon Road: Mountain House to House Rock Falls

McQuade Creek Trail: Spring Gateway to the Middle Santiam Wilderness

Make a Homemade Planter Box For Under $30